Saturday, November 21, 2009

I Love My Ducks...I guess!

So although we have been living in Eugene for about 6 years, Shane and I have had a really hard time getting into Oregon sports. One major reason for this is that Shane has been a die hard UCLA fan since birth. There is only room for Bruins in his ginger heart! Being his supportive wife, I am a UCLA fan by association and I will admit I've had some fun cheering them on during basketball season.

I've never been a fan of football, no matter what team. I don't know what it is. I have just never been able to get interested in the stop and go action. Tonight, however, marked the first time I felt it. That anticipation of a touchdown, the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and the anxiety (or maybe indigestion from eating too much pizza?).

In a back and forth game against Arizona, Shane and I watched the game from the comfort of our home (and brand new couches - Shane's Christmas present! Pictures coming soon...). Our friends, Jake and Hannah, while battling pretty bad colds, decided to join us which made it even more fun. Maybe it was the fact that Oregon has had a great season, but Shane and I found ourselves completely overcome with support for the Ducks. We cheered when they scored touchdowns, we yelled and waved our arms around angrily when they got unfair penalties and our stomachs did flips when Arizona scored a touchdown and field goal in overtime.

When the game finally revealed its victor, Shane and I both jumped up like lunatics and cheered. After the enthusiastic rounds of high fives and our friends had gone home, we both discussed how we'd never felt this kind of interest in Duck football, or for me, in football in general. I'll admit, I kind of like it!

So now here we are, becoming invested in Oregon athletics....at least until basketball season starts, because some things will never change. :)

GO DUCKS!

3 comments:

  1. ME TOO!, Sarah. This UCLA born fan was yelling for the ducks-it was a very exciting game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop fighting it, it is contagious and Shane over time will learn that UCLA basketball is also not worth following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I don't know about that, Pat! He's a true Bruin fan...whether their good or bad, he'll be supporting them. I am excited to finally have gotten into Duck Football though...took me almost 6 years of living here!!

    ReplyDelete